Monday 8 January 2007

What equipment? - Other stuff

Indeed, there is more to the stuff I use than just the camera and lenses. When I'm out and about, I need to carry my camera in something, plus there's other items such as monitor calibrators and flash equipment to complete my kit.

To help me cart my kit about, I use either a Lowepro Stealth reporter D550AWor Crumpler Company Embarrassment. The Crumpler bag is slightly smaller than the Lowepro, making it perfect for carrying my general kit around. The Lowepro comes into it's own when I have to carry my Nikon 300mm f/4and Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8, as these both fit vertically inside the bag.

The flashgun I use is a Nikon SB-800 Speedlite. This is plenty powerful enough for most applications and provides scarily accurate results when used with my D200'sMatrix-metering. I've modified the supplied Stofen-like diffuser by cutting a notch in the mount, so that the flash doesn't automatically set itself for 14mm wide coverage, as this robs me of too much flash power. You can clearly see the notch in the picture on the left.

I also regularly use a Jessops off-camera TTL cord. This simple, inexpensive piece of kit provides a fantastic amount of flexibility with my flash shooting.

For power, and improved handling of my D200, I use an MB-D200 battery grip. This adds more weight to the camera body, which helps with handholding at slow shutter speeds and also provides enough power for a couple of days shooting. I wouldn't be without it.

Finally, there's no point taking all these photos if I can't edit them properly afterwards. Colour is very important to me, so I use a Monaco Optix XR monitor calibrator to ensure my screen displays accurate colours. Of the calibration devices I've tried, this one provides the most consistent results.

No comments: